A Variety of Navy, Kidney and Black Beans To Create Rich and Flavorful Soup
Koshary with Egyptian Fried Rice, Brown Lentils, Chickpeas and Tomato Sauce Recipe
Koshary is a traditional Egyptian street food made of rice, lentils, chickpeas, and a tomato sauce. This meal is filling, nutritious, and simple to prepare.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Bring the brown lentils and 4 cups of water to a boil in a pot over high heat.
- Reduce to a low heat and continue to cook for 20-30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- Drain and set aside the lentils.
- Bring the rice and 2 cups of water to a boil in a separate pot over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and leave to cook for 18-20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil while the rice is cooking.
- Sauté the diced onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the chickpeas to combine.
- Pour in the cooked brown lentils and stir to combine.
- Stir in the ground cumin, ground coriander, salt, and pepper to combine.
- Stir in the can of tomato sauce to combine.
- Simmer the lentil mixture for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, over low heat.
- Spoon the cooked rice into bowls and top with the lentil mixture to serve.
Southern Bean Cookbook
8-QT Rotating Bean and Rice Dispenser
The Thrifty Bean Cookbook
Organic Indian Madras Lentils
Lima Beans with Parmesan Rotini and Bacon Recipe
Deep Fried Falafel Balls with Fava Beans and Chickpeas Recipe
Fried Eggs, Beans, Mushrooms, Cherry Tomatoes and Bacon Breakfast Recipe
Red Lentil Soup Recipe